Animal welfare

From 1 October 2018 the Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018 comes into effect.

You can read more here at

Licenses for the following activities will be needed when carried out as a business*:-

  • Selling animals as pets
  • Providing or arranging for the provision of boarding of cats or dogs which means:-
    - Cat boarding
    - Kennel boarding for dogs
    - Home boarding for dogs (including day care in the home)
    - Day care boarding for dogs (i.e. boarding of dogs not in the home or kennel environment)
  • Hiring out horses for riding or instruction in riding
  • Breeding dogs
  • Keeping or training animals for exhibition.

Minimum standards specific to the activity being carried out will need to be met prior to a licence being issued.  Where higher standards are met, a longer term licence will be issued which will save licensing fees for applicants who achieve and maintain high standards.

The minimum term of a licence will be 1 year. Where higher standards are achieved a 2 or 3 year licence will be granted.

The following fees are applicable to animal welfare licences processed and/or granted under the Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018. Please note where there are more than one activity taking place at the business, as well as the fee for the main activity you will be required to submit an additional activity fee for each additional activity you undertake.

See the guidance on the standards to be achieved for each activity and on the ‘business test’.

* A Business test is used to assess whether a licence is required.

The following guidance and FAQs will provide more details of the new system of regulation.

How to apply

To make an application, there are three parts to complete. The forms can be found below. To ensure the form will allow you to save and submit correctly, please download the form first using the 'save as' option, then reopen the form to complete.

Download the forms to complete. Send your completed application forms to or post to Licensing, Amber Valley Borough Council, Ripley, Derbyshire, DE5 3BT.

You will be contacted once your application forms have been received, to pay the appropriate fee over the phone.

Please note that until payment has been received, your application is not valid.

The council will aim to consider and provide you with a decision as to whether a licence is to be granted within 10 weeks of receipt of your completed, valid, application form.

Licences issued

View the register to see who is currently licensed in Amber Valley.

Request a rescore visit

If you have undertaken the works outlined in your inspection report, you can apply for a revisit for your score and star rating to be reviewed. There is a charge of £160 for a rescore visit.

How to appeal your star rating

If you disagree with your star rating you can appeal it. In the first instance you are advised to speak to the inspecting officer for them to explain how your rating has been determined.

Variation of your licence

If a variation needs to be made to the licence, e.g. to reflect a change in premises or animal capacity, we may at any time vary a licence on the application in writing by a licence holder. There is a charge of £160 to consider a variation. Details of what the variation requested is should be outlined in the application form and supporting evidence provided where necessary. If you wish to apply for a variation then please complete our online application form.

Need further help or information?

Contact the team directly on 01773 841335 or email