Immigration inspections

When a person wishes to come to the UK and makes an immigration request, one of the documents they must provide is a letter from the local authority confirming that:

  • the property they intend to live in has been inspected
  • the property is acceptable for occupation under the Housing Act 2004
  • the property will not be overcrowded if they live there

The housing team of the council can provide this documentation. However, as it is not a legal requirement for the council to carry out this function, the applicant will have to pay a fee of £132.00.

If you require the council to inspect your home for this purpose, you should complete and return the housing inspection application form. If you decide to pay by cheque, we shall wait for the cheque to clear with your bank before proceeding.

It is important that you complete all of the application. If you do not, the immigration department may not accept it, or it may not be accurate and will cause a delay in processing.

Following receipt at the council, along with the fee, an officer will make contact with you to arrange a convenient date and time for the inspection. The officer will need to see all of the property.

After the inspection, the officer will write you a letter confirming the date of inspection, the number of rooms in use at the property and whether or not extra residents will make the property overcrowded. You should then forward this letter to the immigration department that requested it.

Need further help or information?

Contact the team directly on 01773 841335 or email