Electoral registration

To vote in an election or referendum, you must be on the electoral register. If you are not sure if you have already registered, please contact us on 01773 841634 or email elections@ambervalley.gov.uk.

You can register to vote by completing the online form at www.gov.uk/register-to-vote.

Who can register to vote?

  • In England and Wales you can register to vote if you are 17 years old (and in some cases if you are 16). However, you can only vote when you become 18. In Scotland you can register to vote if you are 15 years old (and in some cases if you are 14). You can vote in local elections and elections to the Scottish Parliament when you are 16 and elections to the UK and European Parliaments when you are 18.
  • British, Irish or qualifying Commonwealth citizens. This means Commonwealth citizens who have leave to remain in the UK or do not require such leave.
  • Citizens of the Republic of Ireland or other European Union (EU) member states.

How do I change my name on the electoral register?

You will need to complete a change of name form and provide proof of your change of name, such as a marriage or civil partnership certificate, an amended birth certificate, or deed poll. To find out more please contact us on 01773 841634 or email elections@ambervalley.gov.uk.

How do I change my address on the electoral register?

When you move you need to re-register to your new address at www.gov.uk/register-to-vote.

The electoral register

The electoral register lists the names and addresses of everyone who is registered to vote in public elections. The register is used for electoral purposes, such as making sure only eligible people can vote. It is also used for other limited purposes specified in law, such as:

  • detecting crime (e.g. fraud)
  • calling people for jury service
  • checking credit applications

The open register

The open register is an extract of the electoral register, but is not used for elections. It can be bought by any person, company or organisation. For example, it is used by businesses and charities to confirm name and address details.  Your name and address will be included in the open register unless you ask for them to be removed. Removing your details from the open register does not affect your right to vote.

If you want your details excluded from the open register, please complete the permanent exclusion request form.

Need further help or information?

Contact the team directly on 01773 841458 or email elections@ambervalley.gov.uk