Cost of living support

We understand for many this is a challenging time. Find support, information, advice, and guidance to help you and your family via the drop-down menu below.

The government has set up a website 'Help for Households' offering help for households, giving details of what you could be eligible for, from income support and childcare costs to finding work.

Alternative energy support scheme

On 19 December the Government announced further schemes, to provide certain households with further help towards their energy costs. You can read more using the following link:

£150 energy bills rebate

Government guidance states that all payments under the discretionary scheme were to be made by 30 November 2022. After that date, payments are not allowed. You can read more about this scheme on the following link:

Housing benefit is a benefit for people on a low income to help them pay their rent. You may be able to get housing benefit if you are on other benefits, work part-time or full-time on a low income.

If you are working age and require help towards your rent you may need to claim universal credit rather than housing benefit.

Council tax support is for people on a low income to help them pay their council tax bill. You may be able to get council tax support if you are on other benefits, work part-time or work full-time on a low income.

Derbyshire County Council have put together lots of information and advice, designed to ensure that you're getting all the help that you are entitled to. You can also sign up to get the latest advice and information by email.


Derbyshire County Council has created a list of 'warm spaces' throughout the county that are available free of charge to the public. These are organisations that offer a heated space during the winter months, provide seating, and offer refreshments such as a warm drink and a biscuit.

To view the updated list, please visit

Need further help or information?

Contact the team directly on 01773 570222 or email