Test and trace support payment

From 28 September the UK government has announced that there will be a new legal duty on all UK residents who test positive for Covid-19 or are identified by the NHS Test and Trace as a close contact, requiring them to self-isolate.

As this new legal duty may impact your ability to work and earn a living, the government has introduced a £500 payment for those who are having to self-isolate and this scheme will run until 30 September 2021.

Changes from 16 August 2021

Fully vaccinated adults

You'll no longer be required to self-isolate if identified as a contact by NHS Test and Trace from 16 August 2021. You will not be eligible for a Test and Trace Support Payment.

If you're under 18 years

You'll no longer be required to self-isolate if identified as a contact by NHS Test and Trace from 16 August 2021. Your parents or guardians will no longer need to take time off work to care for you, and they will not be eligible for a Test and Trace Support Payment.

Please read all the information below before making your claim, including eligibility criteria and what evidence you need to provide.

When you are ready, please complete our Test and Trace Support Payment online form.

Eligibility for the NHS Test and Trace Support Payment, including discretionary payments, is for people who are told to self-isolate on or after 28 September 2020 and who meet the relevant eligibility criteria below. We cannot accept applications from people told to self-isolate before 28 September 2020, even if the period of self-isolation continues after 28 September.

Test and Trace Support Payment

If you meet all of the following eligibility criteria, you are entitled to a Test and Trace Support Payment of £500:

  • You live in the borough of Amber Valley.
  • You have been told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace on or after 28 September 2020.
  • You are employed or self-employed.
  • You cannot work from home and will lose income as a result.
  • You are currently receiving at least one of the following benefits: Universal Credit, Working Tax Credit, income-based Employment and Support Allowance, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit and/or Pension Credit.

Discretionary payment

You may be eligible for a £500 discretionary payment if you meet one of the following criteria:

  • are in receipt of council tax support (but not the other benefits outlined in the core scheme)
  • have applied for council tax support, or one of the qualifying benefits, but your application hasn’t been determined,
  • have been in receipt of council tax support, or one of the qualifying benefits, in the last two months
  • have savings or capital of less than £3,000

Or you will face financial hardship as a result of not being able to work while you are self-isolating.

Parents or guardians caring for a child

If you have to take time off work because you child has been told that they cannot attend school because they have been in close contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID you may qualify for a payment.

If this applies to you please complete the online form and also send an email to isolationpayments@ambervalley.gov.uk giving the following information:

  • The child's name, address and age
  • The name of their school and school contact email address and phone number
  • The child's first day of self-isolation
  • The child's eight-digit NHS Test and Trace ID number if they have one. If they don’t have one please send in the email, text or letter you have received from school confirming that they have to self-isolate.

Please ensure that you have the below information available before starting the application as you will be required to upload this during the form:

  • National Insurance Number
  • Your unique 8-digit NHS Test and Trace account ID reference number
  • Your most recent bank statement
  • If employed, your most recent wage slip and letter or email from your employer to confirm reduction income
  • Proof of self employment, such as your latest self-assessment tax return or trading income
  • Benefits award letter

You will receive this payment via BACS transfer. This payment will be for £500 and is subject to tax. However, you will not be taxed at the point of payment and will be contacted by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) at a later date.

If you’re employed, you’ll pay tax on your payment if you go over your tax-free personal allowance. Your tax code will change to collect the tax. You will not pay National Insurance contributions on the payment. If you’re self-employed, you must report the payment on your self-assessment tax return.

Eligible individuals can make a claim up to 42 days after the first day of self-isolation. We cannot accept applications after this point.

People in the same household can each make an individual application to receive the payment, if they each meet the eligibility criteria.

Some individuals could be asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace more than once.

Someone can claim more than once (if they are told to self-isolate multiple times), as long as they meet the eligibility criteria for each individual claim and their periods of self-isolation do not overlap.

Applicants can apply on behalf of someone else; however, the £500 must be paid into a bank account in the name of the person for whom the application is being made. For example, if someone applied on behalf of a parent, the payment would be made into the parent’s bank account.

We can only consider applications from individuals who have a valid notification from NHS Test and Trace telling them to stay at home and self-isolate.

The Test and Trace Support Payment scheme does not cover people who are self-isolating after returning to the UK from abroad, unless they have tested positive for Coronavirus or have been told to stay at home and self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace.

The council will write to you to confirm the decision but as this is discretionary there are no appeal rights to an Independent Tribunal. However, you can ask us to look at your case again if you not happy with the outcome. This would need to be made in writing, stating the reasons you are asking for a review of the decision.

Review requests should be sent to isolationpayments@ambervalley.gov.uk.

As Coronavirus impacts on all of our lives we would like to assure Amber Valley residents that they are not on their own. An extensive network of support services is available – providing help, advice and important information. View links and contact details.

Need further help or information?

Contact the team directly on 01773 570222 or email isolationpayments@ambervalley.gov.uk

Pages in Test and trace support payment Apply online