Council tax support

Council tax support is for people on a low income to help them pay their council tax bill. You may be able to get council tax support if you are on other benefits, work part-time or work full-time on a low income.

You can claim council tax support if you have to pay council tax on your home.

Council tax support is payable in respect of the family, the term family includes single claimants, lone parents, married or un-married partners or civil partners with or without children. The family must occupy the property as their home and be liable to pay Council Tax.

As well as main council tax support there is also second adult rebate for pension aged claimants who do not have a partner (or their partner is 'not counted' for council tax purposes) and they have other people living with them who are on a low income.

Please don't ignore the bill you have received - you must pay it.

Contact the council on 01773 841470 if you want to discuss this further.

Use our online benefits calculator to check your housing benefit and council tax support entitlement.

Council tax bills can be reduced by:

Need further help or information?

Contact the team directly on 01773 841470 or email